top of page

How To Get Your Liquor Licenses in Illinois

Getting your state and local liquor licenses can seem like daunting tasks, but with the right information and the right people on your team, it can be much easier. There are several types of liquor licenses, but we are going to be focusing on the most common license: the Retailer’s liquored license. Typically, this is the type of license that is needed when looking to be licensed for gaming machines.

The first step you will need to tackle is obtaining a liquor license from your local municipality. Each municipality has their own procedures for obtaining this license. A simple Google search or browsing your municipality’s website will help you understand this process more clearly.

Once you have secured your municipality license, you can now move forward with your application for a state license.

The Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) is the governing body that issues liquor licenses at the state level. According to the ILCC, “Strict qualifying criteria must be followed to obtain a liquor license as defined in the Illinois Liquor Control Act, which includes ownership information, local licensing, tax status and sales tax history.”

An Illinois Retail Liquor License will cost you $750. In connection with the state application, you must provide a photocopy of your local liquor license, Sales Tax number/Illinois Business Tax (IBT) number, and Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). Additionally, a certificate of insurance is required for licensees with on-premise consumption or a combination of on/off-premise consumption. You can view the application here:

Once you have obtained your liquor license from the state of Illinois, it must be renewed every year in order to maintain it. So mark your calendar right away as a reminder!

It’s important to be educated on the entire process for obtaining a license prior to moving forward with submitting an application. Keep in mind rules will vary from municipality to municipality.

More information and FAQs on this topic can be found on the website here:

You can also reach out to our licensing department today if you have any questions.


bottom of page